Summer Plumbing Tips
August 14, 2020
The summer is an ideal time to perform some easy plumbing maintenance around your home. The warmer temperatures and the extra time off will allow for a wide variety of leak prevention options. The professionals at Weeks Service Company have made a list of summer plumbing tips both easy and essential:
Summer Plumbing Tips for the Bathroom
- Check around the base of the toilet for indications of water leaks (dark stains on the floor, warped vinyl, a weak floor).
- To check for a “weak floor,” stand rode over the toilet and rock back and forth on each foot. If the floor feels uneven or “gives” at all, it is probably decaying underneath.
- Check to see how quickly the toilet flushes.
- Check for broken or loose tiles by pushing on the areas where they come into contact with the bathtub. If you feel movement, water may have made its way behind the tile. Replacement is necessary.
- Put a garbage can in the bathroom so that the toilet is not considered a trash can. Never flush Q-tips, cotton balls, hair, sanitary pads – or anything that isn’t toilet paper! Even wipes that advertise they are “flushable,” are not to be disposed of through the toilet.
- Check the date of the water heater. The first four numbers of the long sequence printed on the tag represent the month and year of manufacture. Any heater more than 15 years of age might need to be replaced.
Miscellaneous Summer Plumbing Tips
- Check to ensure that the trash compactor and dishwasher components are working properly and free of leaks.
- Inspect kitchen cabinets (with a flashlight) for indications of water leaks; stains, warped shelving, peeling paint.
- Check washing machine hoses for leaks. Pull out the appliance and check for any dark water rings on the floor – or warped flooring.
Summer Plumbing Tips for Standing Water
Standing water is another common issue – the result of cracked or sewer broken pipes. Puddles of water in a yard might be originating from a damaged sewer line and may contain sewer water from the home. Standing water is not safe for children or pets, and is especially dangerous in the summer when mosquitos and other bugs might congregate. Review your yard for areas that are excessively damp or with irregular plant or grass growth.
Get Your Sewer System Inspected by Weeks Service Co.
If you are intending to buy a home, performing a video review of the underground sewer system might be a smart idea, particularly in older homes with antiquated plumbing systems. The investigation will uncover any problems with the plumbing before you purchase the home. The expense of fixing or replacing an underground sewer can be very costly – so making sure that your dream home has a sound sewer system will save a lot of problems in the long run.
If you need a plumbing assessment, contact the professionals at Weeks Service Company! Call 281-738-1362 to schedule an appointment today!